12 October 2021

Job: Why?

Job lost everything: his children, his stuff and his health.  He asked God: "Why....?"


Then out of the storm the Lord spoke to Job (Job 38:1).

Who are you to question my wisdom with your ignorant, empty words?  Now stand up straight and answer the questions I ask you.  Job 38:2-3.

Part 1 of God's questionsPart 2 of God's questions.

Job, you challenged Almighty God; will you give up now, or will you answer?  Job 40:1-2.

How did Job respond?

I spoke foolishly, Lord. What can I answer?  I will not try to say anything else.  I have already said more than I should.  Job 40:3-5

Then out of the storm the Lord spoke to Job once again (Job 40:6).

Now stand up straight and answer my questions.  Are you trying to prove that I am unjust— to put me in the wrong and yourself in the right?  Are you as strong as I am?  Can your voice thunder as loud as mine?  If so...  Job 40:7-10. 

Part 3 of God's questionsPart 4 of God's questions.

Then Job answered the Lord (Job 42:1):

I know, Lord, that you are all-powerful; that you can do everything you want.  You ask how I dare question your wisdom when I am so very ignorant.  I talked about things I did not understand, about marvels too great for me to know.  You told me to listen while you spoke and to try to answer your questions.  In the past I knew only what others had told me, but now I have seen you with my own eyes.  So I am ashamed of all I have said and repent in dust and ashes.  Job 42:2-6.   

I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject.  Please share as a comment or direct message on Facebook or Instagram.